Sunday 14 February 2016

Rebel Wilson: 'I've been practising my transgender face' so I can win Baftas

How to be Single and Grimsby star flirts with controversy as she makes reference to awards race row and inclusion of transgender titles

Rebel Wilson, the Australian actor famed for her roles in Pitch Perfect and Bridesmaids, has poked fun at the diversity controversies dominating this year’s awards season.

Speaking on stage at this year’s Baftas, Wilson – shortly to be seen in How to be Single and in Sacha Baron Cohen’s Grimsby – said she had been “been practicing my transgender face” in the hope of securing an award in coming years.

“I’ve never been invited to the Oscars,” continued Wilson, “because as we know they are racists.” She went on to praise Bafta’s drive to increase its mix of voters. “That’s what we all like to see in life, isn’t it?” she said. “Diverse members.”

Wilson, who was presenting the best supporting supporting actor prize, flirted with Idris Elba, saying that he made her nervous. “I’m programmed to want chocolate on Valentine’s Day.”

No comments:

Post a Comment